- 1999 to Present: Partner (Founder) - Kanouse & Walker, P.A.
Representing entrepreneurs, franchisors, franchisees and their companies in corporate, securities and real estate matters with a primary emphasis in franchise, licensing and distribution law.
- 1990 to 1999: Partner (Founder) - Keith J. Kanouse, P.A., Boca Raton, Florida
- Representing entrepreneurs, franchisors, franchisees and their companies in corporate, securities and real estate matters with a primary emphasis in franchise, licensing and distribution law.
- 1983 to 1990: Partner - Gunster, Yoakley & Stewart, Boca Raton and West Palm Beach, Florida
- (merger with Wheeler & Kanouse) Corporate, Banking and Real Estate and Chair of the Franchise Practice Group
- 1983: Partner (Founder) - Wheeler & Kanouse, Boca Raton, Florida
- Corporate, Banking, Franchise and Real Estate
- 1981 to 1983 Partner - Fleming, O'Bryan & Fleming, Boca Raton, Florida
- Corporate, Banking and Real Estate
Awards and Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame of Franchise Attorneys, April 2019 - Franchise Times Magazine
- Corporate INTL ‘Who's Who - Find an Adviser Handbook - Franchise law expert in Florida.
- 1851 Franchise Editorial Team - Franchise Legal Player for 2019
- Franchise Law - Law Firm of the Year in Florida ~ 2019 Corporate Intl Global Awards
- International Advisory Expert Awards Winner 2019
- Top Lawyers of Florida 2018 - Selected as One of the Top Lawyers of 2018 as chosen by his peers - Recognized for Excellence and Achievements by the Legal Community
- Best Corporate Law Firm - Florida (2018)
- Marquis Who's Who Lifetime Achievement Award 2018
- Global Leading Lawyers 2018
- Finance Monthly - Law Awards 2018 Franchise - Lawyer of the Year - USA
- AVVO rated 10.0 of 10.0 (highest rating) - Top Rated Lawyer 2018, 2017
- Global Awards Corporate Live Wire 2017 Winner - Excellence in Franchise Law Services
- “South Florida Top Lawyers 2017” as published in the Daily Business Review
- U.S. News & World Report - Best U.S. Lawyers 2019, 2018, 2017
- America’s Most Honored Professionals Award (Top 1%) 2018-2016
- Who’s Who Best Lawyers in World 2018-2016
- Top Franchise Lawyers 2018-2016
- “Florida Legal Elite” by Florida Trend as recognized by his peers
- Recognized as a Top Attorney “Legal Eagle” in the Franchise Sector by Franchise Times 2019-2006
- “Very Best U.S. Attorneys in Franchising” as viewed by their clients and peers published by Franchise Times Magazine.
- Who’s Who Legal: Franchise 2019 - 2016
- Who's Who Legal Florida - Selected as one of the top 397 attorneys in Florida out of over 80,000 Florida attorneys
- Rated ‘AV®" Preeminent™ (the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards reflecting the confidential opinions of members of the bar and judiciary) by LexisNexis, Martindale -Hubbell and Lawyers.com for over 30 years
- Selected as a "Leading Florida Attorney" (Top 5%) in Franchise and Distribution Law by American Research Corporation
- Who's Who of International Franchise Attorneys (1 of 197 in world)
- Winner of InterContinental Finance Magazine’s Legal Excellence Award 2011
- Recognized for Excellence as One of the Area’s Top Lawyers ~ Palm Beach Illustrated InterContinental Finance Magazine’s “HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - TOP TIER FIRMS
- Bradley University - Bachelor of Science Degree
- Magna Cum Laude, Business Administration
- University of Notre Dame Law School, Juris Doctor
- Magna Cum Laude, Note and Comment Editor - Notre Dame Lawyer
Admitted to practice in the State of Florida (December 1975), and New York (March 1975 - retired 1994) and Georgia (2002)
Admitted to United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Admitted to United States District Court for the Western District of New York
Admitted to United States Tax Court
Admitted to United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Admitted to United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Admitted to United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
American Bar Association Business Law Section
American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, including member of faculty at several annual meetings
American Bar Association Standing Committee on Lawyer Competence (Forum on Franchising Liaison)
American Bar Association Standing Committee on Lawyer Specialization (Forum on Franchising Liaison)
American Bar Association Advisory Panel on Accreditation of Third Party Certifier Organizations of Lawyers as Specialists
International Franchise Association South Florida Coordinator and Host of Second Tuesday Programs (1991-1995)
Member of National Advisory Board of IFA's Council of Franchise Suppliers (1993-1995)
Co-Vice Chairperson of IFA's Membership Committee (1994-1995)
Affiliated member of the American Franchisee Association including speaker at 1995 Annual Convention (1994-1995)
Affiliated member of the American Association of Franchisees and Dealers (including LegaLine Steering Committee member and Founding Chair of Fair Franchising Standards Committee)
Board of Directors of the American Association of Franchisees and Dealers including Secretary and member of Executive Committee
Charter Member of the Florida Franchise Association
Founding Member of The Florida Bar Franchise Law Committee (Vice-Chair 1994 - 1995, Chair 1995 - 1996)
Member of Committee X (International Franchising) of the International Bar Association, London, England
Contributing Editor to Franchise UPDATE Magazine
Hearing Officer for Franchise Arbitration and Mediation, Inc.
ABA Forum on Franchising’s Franchise Desk Book – Updated Florida Chapter (2018)
Guide to Understanding an Offering Circular and Negotiating a Franchise Agreement (1996)
Guide to Negotiating a Business Lease (1996)
Guide to Selecting the Best Entity to Own and Operate Your Business (1996)
Franchise Law and Practice published by the CLE Committee of The Florida Bar (1983, 1992 2d ed. and 1996 3d ed.) - co-editor and co-author - writing chapters entitled "Federal Laws Affecting Franchising," "Real Estate Aspects of Franchising" and "Franchising Internationally"
Franchise 101 - co-author. Published by the Association of Small Business Development Centers (1998).
Contributor to The 1998 Business Reference Guide edited by Thomas L. West published by Business Brokerage Press.