Awards and Accomplishments
- 1996 to Present: Attorney, Shareholder and Vice President of Kanouse & Walker, P.A.
Kanouse & Walker is a Law Firm focusing in Franchise, Distribution and Corporate law. The Firm's web site is www.kanouse.com. The Firm is rated "AV Preeminent" (highest peer review rating for legal ability and ethical Standards) by LexisNexis, Martindale-Hubbell and Lawyers.com. Recognized as Top Attorneys in Franchise Sector by Franchise Times 2006 through 2019. Franchise Law – Law Firm of the Year in Florida – 2019 Corporate Intl Global Awards
Awards and Accomplishments
- Member of the Working Group of National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Research and Development Event Data Recorder (EDR) 1998-2001
- Recipient of award from The School Board of Palm Beach County for Commitment to Driver Education Community Partnership, June 25, 2003
- Recipient of Distinguished Citizen Award for Education for 1998, Palm Beach County, Traffic Safety Committee
- Boca Raton's Promise, Legal Consultant to Boca Raton's Promise and Member of the Effective Education Team
- Co-Executive Producer of Video, Friends 4-Ever, aired on PBS to be used in Palm Beach County Schools, guest speaker in local high schools
- Assisted in writing an article published in Reader's Digest in June 1998
- Assisted in the production of an hour documentary with ABC affiliate
- Award Recipient, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 1998
- President of Estancia South Homeowners Association 1998
- Secretary of Estancia South Homeowners Association 1996 -1998
- Treasurer-Elect of Boca Raton Women's Investment Club 1998
- Treasurer of Boca Raton Women's Investment Club 1999-2002
- 1985 to 1996: Associate General Counsel/Assistant Secretary, Levitz Furniture Corporation, Boca Raton, Florida
- Legal responsibilities included the following:
- Real Estate: Negotiating, drafting documentation and closing of purchase and sale of real property, leasing of real property, sale-leaseback transactions and real estate financing. Day-to-day management of real estate for over 100 stores.
- Employment law: Representation of the company (over 6,000 employees in 26 states) in complying with employment law and filing position statements on behalf of the company.
- Corporate law: Review and preparation of contracts, agreements, and resolutions, and representation of the company in multi-state finance transactions. (See transactional summary attached)
- Securities law: Preparation of offering circulars, representation of the company in an initial public offering on the New York Stock Exchange in 1993, preparation of proxy statement, annual report, 10-K and 10-Q.
- Environmental law: Overseeing Phase I reports on properties and when required addressing remediation issues and environmental compliance.
- Levitz Corporate Quality Council: Member of the board of corporate governance of Quality Program.
- 1983 to 1985: Associate, Gunster, Yoakley, & Stewart, P.A., Boca Raton, Florida
- General commercial transactional law, including representation of companies seeking Industrial Development Revenue Bonds.
- 1982 to 1983: Associate, Fleming, O'Bryan and Fleming, Boca Raton, Florida
- Real estate and commercial law
- 1978 to 1981: Law Clerk and Associate, Myers, Kaplan, Levison, Kenin & Richards, Miami, Florida
- Commercial litigation.
- University of Miami, School of Law, Miami, Florida
- Graduate cum laude 1980, Associate Editor of Lawyer of the Americas
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- Graduate summa cum laude 1976. Major in Political Science Phi Beta Kappa
- Williams College, Williamstown, Massachusetts
- Dean's List 1972-1973
- Pine Crest Preparatory School, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Honors graduate and recipient of the Ar'te Award
- Florida Bar Association, admitted to the Federal Bar
- Prior member of American Bar Association
- American Corporate Counsel Association
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Attorneys' Title Insurance Fund
- Secretary and Member of Board of Trustees of Friends of Gumbo Limbo - 2020 to present.
- Caring Canines 15th Judicial Circuit - 2012 to 2018
- Established the pilot program for therapy dogs in the courtroom during Judicial Review Hearings to comfort abused and neglected children.
- Therapy Dog Foundation - 2005 to 2018
- Handler and trainer of Golden Retriever Certified Therapy Dog visiting nursing homes, Veteran's Hospital, Children's Hospital and comforting children who testify in Court.
- Board of Trustees of Friends of Gumbo Nature Center - 2012 to 2018
- Member of Board of Trustees for Gumbo Limbo and Chair of the Development Committee
- Boca Raton's Promise, The Alliance for Youth - 1998 to May 2011
- Legal counsel for 501(c) (3) non-profit organization
- Estancia South Homeowners Association, Board of Directors - 1995-98
- Child Care Resource and Referral, Board of Directors - 1989-1994
- Pine Crest Alumni Association, Board of Directors - 1982-1992
- City of Boca Raton, Civil Service Board 1984-1988
- U.S. Citizen Ambassador to Korea, Japan and Hong Kong - 1991
- People to People Program, American Bar Association.
- Travelled to Cuba with National Geographic - 2015
- Travelled to South Africa - 2016
- Travelled as citizen scientist to the Amazon River studying Rainforest Canopy - 2019
- Travelled to Dubai and UAE - 2019
Transactional Summary Of Financing With Levitz
- Levitz Furniture Corporation $115,000,000
- 12 3/8% Senior Notes due 1997
- LFC Holding Corporation
- 30,668 Units consisting of an aggregate of $115,005,000 Senior Deferred Coupon Debentures due 2002 and 30,668 Warrants to Acquire 30,668 Senior Deferred Coupon Debentures due 2002
- Levitz Furniture Corporation $100,000,000
- 9 5/8% Senior Subordinated Notes due 2003
- Levitz Furniture Corporation $160,000,000
- Senior Secured Credit Facilities
- Levitz Furniture Corporation $80,000,000
- 12 7/8% Subordinated Notes due 1997